Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

Who really wins an Ultra Marathon

Although the records only list the names of the runners crossing the finish line at an Ultra Marathon, it would be wrong to say that anyone did it alone. I'll speak for myself.

From as long as I can remember, my parents were always telling me that I could do anything I wanted to. I would test this, " So Mom and Dad, your saying that I could be an astronaut AND paleontologist that plays in the NBA for the Orlando Magic?" 

The answer was always the same- "If thats what you really want to do, then yes." So when I told my parents that I was running a 50 mile race in January, they supported me 100%. When I saw them and my friend Julia holding signs for me at the 38.5 mile mark I thought to myself, "This is what it's all about." 



I've also been blessed with amazing friends who have always had my back. I mean, three of them showed up to run 20 miles with me in a windchill of sub 10 degrees. My friends are all working their butts off to achieve their goals- and thats what keeps me cracking at mine. We don't need to coddle each other, we just tip our hats and know we've done our best. 



The friend who inspired me to do these races is always there with me on the course, in my jacket or pockets of my shorts. I hold a picture of him, and the picture reminds me of how much he would tease and haggle me if I even entertained the thought of quitting. He was always a ball buster. Although he has passed on, he is very present in my darkest and most lonesome moments of these races.



So who wins an Ultra Marathon? I'll tell you.

Your family.

Your friends.

People who you see struggling in life, but push on despite the pain.

Young couples trying their best to be great parents.

Friends who have passed on. 

The race volunteers. The people taking photos of you. The people who at mile 50 ask, "wanna do a jello shot?"

The stranger in your life that tells you to push on.

The little engine who COULD.

Your failed romantic pursuits/disappointments/etc.

Then you. 

And thats the cold truth. 


BEAST OF BURDEN 50 mile race Jan 18th 2014 :) Thank you race volunteers, directors, and new friends!


photos compliments of kino : (http://www.kinosfault.com) Thanks a ton!

A very special thank you to the dashing whippets running team and all those who accomplished the beast or helped make the beast happen!
Joe Del Conte
 Kenneth Tom
Lisa Cao
 Kat Uba Bermudez 
Otto Lam 
Tiger Ellen
 Jim Pease 
 Beth Buchanan Pease- thank you soooooo much for the jello shot and all your help during the race :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment