Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2014

The Science and Art of running: Cayuga Trails 50 race report

I know that there is a science to running. It includes physics, chemistry, anatomy, mathematics, nutrition, psychology and numerous other disciplines.

The scientific theory that applied most to the Cayuga Trails 50 mile race was that of relativity- as Albert Einstein put it,
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like and hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute, THAT's relativity."

When I tell people that I am planning to run 50 miles they often give a reference to that distance, "Well thats like running from (location a) to (location b, which is 50 miles away)!" The most common reference I hear is Buffalo to Ellicottville. 

It sounds daunting. It looks awful. It appears altogether overwhelming, but then you have to factor the theory of relativity:

I love to run long distances. Many of my friends are all along the course giving me encouragement. The temperature is perfect. The trail is beautiful. My legs are fresh. 

This doesn't change the distance- nor the 9 plus hours spent completing it, but it changes of the perception of the task. It wasn't 9 hours of job that is dissatisfying, it was more like 9 hours in disney world. 

Running trails may not be your bliss, but I'm quite certain everyone can relate to an activity that they can get lost in. To recognize that bliss and develop your ability is the choice we are all given.

So heres how the race went: 

I arrived at the North Shelter of the Tremon State park at 4:45 am, driven by my brother Alex. We had camped at Buttermilk State park the night before. I tried to lay down and fall asleep at 10 pm, but instead I lay awake almost the entire night listening to my brother, Mike Wach, and Jenna talk about when humans would need to leave the earth and colonize other planets. It kept my mind off the race.




Waiting for me at the shelter was Gil, Tim, and Laura- my race crew for the day. I briefed them on my drop bag and the location of all the essential items. I was trying to remain calm, but as the minutes ticked down til the race started to feel giddy. 

I drank some coffee, ate a bagel, went to the bathroom and before I knew it the horn sounded and the race began. 

Being that this was the most competitive ultra marathon I had ever competed in, I had no idea what to expect. The lead pack started out at a dizzying pace. Did I not get the memo? Was this changed to a 5k race?

That was really the last I saw of the leaders. I settled into a comfortable pace. My coach had told me to stay conservative in the beginning. After checking out the course with Mike the day prior that may have meant to power walk the first 25 miles. 

The first loop was a blur. The course was so beautiful and the cool morning air made it for an extremely pleasant 25 miles. I saw my friends scattered along the course route- always a pleasant pick- me- up. A hug from Mike at the halfway point, a thumbs up and smile from Alex at an aide station, loud cheers from Julia Smith her sisters and mother at crossroad point, and the Bloody Nipples Athletic club guys (and girl) Andy, Jay, and Lynn clapping for me at trailhead.

I felt like I could go on forever. That wasn't the case.

Meanwhile at each aide station, Gil was making sure I wasted as little time as possible. He handed me roctane energy gels, filled my water bottles, and monitored my caloric intake. At mile 18 he filled my water bottle with Ginger ale. Id never trained with ginger ale before- but it worked wonders. Any uneasiness in my stomach subsided. 

While on the course I chatted for a few miles with a man named Eric. He was a chemist from New Jersey running in his first 50 mile race. He told me all about his humble beginnings in running, his kids, his research, and about living in New Jersey. I conversed a little bit, but when the 38 mile point hit I told him that I was too physically taxed to keep talking. 

He was fine, his stride still looked strong and his spirits were high. "Go make a move Eric, don't you wait for me. I'll see you at the finish." I said. We didn't encounter again on the course, but I saw him at the finish line and gave him a huge hug. He finished his first 50 mile race in the 24th place.

At the time Eric was leaving, so was the strength in my legs. As I went to walk up a stone staircase- my left quad just wouldn't contract. I came back down the stair, had to regroup, and hopped onto the next step. I pushed my hands hard on my legs as I climbed the stairs, giving some added boost to my weak steps. The wheels had fallen off. And I knew it.

The next few miles were painful and when I reached the final aide station my emotions started to spill. While taking a video of me leaving the final aide station Julia said to me, "Say hi to your mom Zach, she probably thinks your crazy!" 

I tried to hold back the tears, but it was no good. I was going to finish this course and I had hundreds of people to thank. It all went by so quick. The 50 mile ultra marathon turned into a 2.9 mile hobble to the finish- and I was going to make it.

I crossed the finish line, bent over. and put my face in my hands. I cried tears of joy for several seconds- but didn't have the energy to hyperventilate. It was over. Muscles that I didn't know I had ached, my stomach was a wreck, my feet felt raw, but I was grinning from ear to ear. My crying turned to laughter and Im quite sure I must have looked like a lunatic. 

I desperately needed to lay down.

Laura grabbed me by the side and carried me into the North Shelter. She told me to lay on my back and put my feet up on a large plastic bin. She left and quickly returned with three bags of ice which I put on my knees and forehead. I closed my eyes in exhaustion.

When I opened my eyes and saw my friend Nate Beardsley and his girlfriend Katie staring down at me, their faces expressed both pity and excitement. Nate had ran with me in my first 50 mile race along with Andy Campanga and Julia Smith, so he knew what to expect. 

When I regained my composure and finally stood up I read a thank you speech I had prepared the night before I left for Ithaca. It mentioned all the people who had helped make the race as special as it was and who had positively influenced my life. I got choked up during the entire reading- and fortunately for my machismo, Tim- who had been videotaping the entire race, lost battery in his video camera. Perfect timing. 

So although I believe that running has a science behind it, I also believe that it is a form of athletic art. There is no one way to run. Each runner uses there own body as a paintbrush and each course as their canvas. 

Fast or slow, short or long, if you can make your race into its own art form as opposed to a lifeless body of statistics and excel charts you will truly enjoy the pure bliss that running is supposed to be. Then let the theory of relativity apply itself...

So be well, stay safe, and ALWAYS run your own race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment