Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Who are endurance athletes?


With the Boston Marathon fresh in our minds, many people are asking, "who are these endurance athletes?"

I remember the reaction of a woman that I work with responding to me telling her I was paying to run a marathon- " ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?? Paying to run 20 some odd miles? Your a lunatic!"

But endurance athletes aren't just those of us who lace up our shoes and head to the roads. Endurance athletes are people that look to the future ahead and need things that are going to last. Our shoes, our legs, our lungs, and our social support has to last us the distance. Our minds must be as healthy as our bodies- neither can be broken.


 In the, "throw away" culture we live in, an endurance athlete needs to find things of value and longevity. For as in running as in life, "its not how you start, but its how you finish."

The hours training, the sweat, the blisters, the heavy breathing- its for a purpose. Its for a goal. Same goes for the student that spends countless hours studying his discipline, the father working long hours to support his family, the actress performing pro bono to make a name for herself.

It is we who strive for better, because mediocre won't cut it.

Id like to take this opportunity to tell you about my favorite endurance athlete of all time: my grandfather who I affectionately call "Nonno". And although he jogs on his treadmill for 30 minutes a day, thats not the kind of endurance I'm talking about.

My grandfather started working when he was in middle school- laying bricks, pouring concrete, and waiting on tables. He worked all throughout college, eventually receiving a PHD in education and marrying a woman whom he was madly in love with. They started a lovely family and my grandfather took on more responsibilities at his work- while always maintaining time for his family. Years later when I was born, my grandfather phased out of his work to spend more time with his new family member. He even took up painting lessons so that he could instill the gift of art in his grandchildren. When he found out that his wife had become sick with a neurological illness my grandfather was a hero. He took care of her at the house for as long as he humanly could- and when the time went for her to leave the house, my grandfather never spent a day away from her. He usually went twice a day, bringing flowers and jokes to my grandmother all the other residents of the facility. My grandfather had done all he humanly could to care for and love his wife- and that is why I believe he will one day receive his heavenly reward.

So although the striated muscles and flashy jerseys may come to your mind when you here about endurance athletes, try not to forget all those who do not just survive life- but endure it.

I hope to one day be half a great as my grandfather- but I know that it will take lots and lots of training.

Thank you to all who inspire- whether, in the classroom, in our living rooms, or at the workplace. You are the endurance athletes of the world. And you sure as heck can run, if you ever care to.

Be well, and always run your own race :)




















Inspired by my grandfather Anthony Lorenzetti :) 
I am so blessed to have you in my life, and even more so to have you in my name forever.

Zachary Anthony Lorenzetti Tomasik






















No comments:

Post a Comment