Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A picture can say a thousand words

(just woken up preteen zach and angelic luke)

We live in a competitive world. Our achievements, looks, actions and deeds are constantly compared to those of others. Do we comply with standards? What is our rank? Where do we fall within the standards? What does God think of us?  The list continues. It never ends.

But where are we compared to where we were yesterday? Last week? Last year? Why don't we keep up with our own development of character? Why don't we honestly ask ourselves, " am I in a better place? Am I a better person?"


The answer is simple: because its hard. 

One of the most useful functions I have on my iPhone is the iPhoto app. It categorizes your photos by when they were taken. I dare you to look back a year ago. Go onto a social media site you subscribe to and look at old photos. They are like graveyards, digital artifacts with context. 

Look at that person- and look at the current person you are now. How are you compared to you?
(crappy teenage zach)


This idea came to me for a few reasons:

 Last week marks the one year anniversary of my introduction to distance running. The obsession began in Hamilton Ontario at the Race around the Bay and hasn't stopped since. People think that my love for running is old- its not. I went from a medically obese youngster who took daily asthma medication to an ultra marathon runner. 

(happy current zach)
I have also been writing a paper on human suffering and have gathered interviews from friends. The interviews are touching, they remind me how much people I love have been through in the last year. It has taught me how much a persons life can change in an instant, just a matter of seconds can make all the world to someone. 
(hippy high school zach)

I have also returned to confession this lent after nearly a year. I have struggled with attending mass and being engaged with my faith since leaving the University at Buffalo. A few bright reminders have been placed in my life and have inspired me to return. 
(happy chunky zach)

I am also a few months from starting the most difficult part of my Physicians Assistant education. The mere fact that a board of people selected me to take on this task is amazing enough- now I have to bare my teeth and grind through it. Most of my adolescent life I wanted to amount to nothing, soon I will be in direct care of peoples lives. It is a task I do not take lightly. 

Conclusion: 

Use the resources you have to a look at yourself. Try to remember those feelings. Get analytical. Make a plan, if you don't already have one. And for cryin out loud enjoy the person you are! Embrace yourself- in the present, past, and future. You made it this far, you can make it anywhere. There are far too many people that will beat you down in life- you've got to become your own fan. 


(happy hungry zach)


(happy, sweaty and tired zach and julia)









And remember,always run your own race. 








No comments:

Post a Comment